Founded in 1914, its first Director until 1957 was Dr. Alberto Boerger, a German plant scientist, who was hired by the Uruguayan Government with the mission of organizing a plant breeding service.
Initially, activities were related to breeding for the most relevant crops in those times: wheat, flax, barley, corn, oats and alfalfa. Because of those tasks, this new organization was named as the “Plant Breeding and Nursery National Institute”.
During that period, under the leadership of Dr. Alberto Boeger, results from its research work transcended frontiers, through which way the Institute became renowned internationally.
Since 1961, the Institute was reorganized and in its place the Agricultural Research Centre “Dr. Alberto Boerger” was created (Centro de Investigaciones Agrícolas “Dr. Alberto Boerger” - CIAAB), widening the scope of its mission to include livestock, namely cattle and sheep, with an emphasis on its pastoral basis. During that decade, La Estanzuela Experiment Station consolidates its organization and infrastructure, and develops its human resources substantially.
By the beginning of the seventies, a regionalization of the National Agricultural Research System was promoted, through the establishment of the Agricultural Experiment Stations of the North (presently INIA-Tacuarembó) and the East (INIA – Treinta y Tres), and also incorporating the Fruit- and Horticulture Experiment Stations of Las Brujas (INIA – Las Brujas) and Litoral-North (INIA – Salto Grande).
Since 1989, with the creation of the National Agricultural Research Institute (INIA), when the Law 16.065 was approved, La Estanzuela, a pillar within national research and the base for CIAAB, is incorporated to INIA under the denomination of INIA – La Estanzuela, “Dr. Alberto Boerger” Experiment Station, in honor to its first Director